[gmx-users] Range checking error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:14:08 CET 2010

011013021-Jyotsna wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am simulating a protein along with a ligand molecule. The ligand
> molecule is modeled as per the literature. The ligand molecule consists
> of FE and S alone and in addition to that it is covalently bonded with
> the enzyme's cys residue. So I have modeled my ligand FE4S4 with SG and
> CB atoms of cystine. I have included only bonded terms in my forcefield
> for my ligand (since I do not know other terms like angle and dihedral
> angles force constants etc) and the article does not mention these.
>
> Now the problem is, when I try to run energy minimization , I encounter
> "Range checking error:" and the detailed error is pasted below. So I
> suspect this error is due to inadequate force field data like angles and
> dihedrals. Or is it caused by some other factor?.But one thing I am sure

More likely the underlying physics is unreasonable.  See here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Range_Checking_error

> of is , when I simulate my system without the ligand, the error
> disappears. I am unable to find any answer to this query in the forum.
>
> Kindly extend your help this time as you always do.
>

> #########################################################################
> Steepest Descents:
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  2.00000e+02
>    Number of steps    =         5000
> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 2446 and 2468 at distance 6.079 which
> is larger than the 1-4 table size 2.000 nm
> These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
> This usually means your system is exploding,
> if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file
> or with user tables increase the table size
> Step=    0, Dmax= 1.0e-02 nm, Epot=          nan Fmax= 1.71540e+115,
> atom= 2452

You should have seen these errors in the list archive if you did a search.  Your
system is clearly blowing up (see link above).  Your Fmax is essentially
infinite, which is usually due to extreme atomic overlap, which should be clear
in the input structure.  Otherwise, mdrun is giving you clues about atoms 2446
and 2468 - start investigating there.

> Program mdrun_d, VERSION 4.0
> Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357

I would also encourage you to upgrade to the latest version (4.0.7); it will not
fix your problem, but there have certainly been some important bug fixes related
to stability and usability that will make your life easier :)

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar