[gmx-users] Problem installin gmx

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 13 06:01:33 CET 2010

On 13/02/10 15:29, Chandan Choudhury wrote:
> What is a cross-compiler?

One that compiles an executable for architecture other than the one on
which compilation occurs.

> My system is
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
> vendor id: GenuineIntel

OK, well that shouldn't be problematic.

My next guess is that your mpicc will only compile executables that will
run with mpirun - this is a special case of cross-compilation. During
the build process, GROMACS builds the C program mknb on the compilation
machine, and then executes it normally on the compilation machine
generate source files, which are then compiled for the execution
machine. However if the MPI compiler can only generate code suitable for
execution in the parallel environment, this procedure will fail.

In my experience, that's abnormal behaviour for mpicc - perhaps this
suggests an update of the MPI library.

You can see if this is the problem by seeing whether you get the same
issue with ./configure --disable-mpi from a fresh copy of the GROMACS
source. If this works correctly, then you can work around the issue by
running ./configure --enable-mpi on a different fresh copy of the
source, then copying over the contents of src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel
from the MPI-disabled version to the MPI-enabled version (perhaps then
running "touch src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel/kernel-stamp") to make
sure the Makefiles are fooled). Now when you issue make, at the relevant
point the make process will avoid needing to run mknb.

Another solution is to run ./configure --enable-mpi, then edit
src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel/Makefile to correctly run mknb as a
parallel program, boot a parallel environment, then run make.

Mark