[gmx-users] extracting data for individual particles

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 23 03:35:31 CET 2010

Paymon Pirzadeh wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a run with the xtc, trr and edr files available. I would like to
> color a snapshot of my system with respect to rmsd or potential energy
> of my particles. How can I extract the potential energy, rmsd or any
> other needed data from the files available? Is there a specific GROMACS
> command that I can use?

Probably a combination of different analysis tools and probably your own
scripting would be required.  RMSD per atom can be be plotted with g_rmsf -od,
but the output is an .xvg file, so you will have to find some way to transfer
these data into a coordinate file (B-factor field in a .pdb file, for example).
  Potential energy per particle is a relatively meaningless quantity, since the
PE is not entirely described by a single particle; it is dependent upon the
surrounding system, as well.  This sort of thing has been discussed a number of
times (for example, users wanting the potential energy of just the protein,
excluding solvent, etc).

-Justin

> Regards,
>
> Payman