[gmx-users] Cut-offs in gromacs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 23 04:11:06 CET 2010

Lum Nforbi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>         I did two md simulations of 200 particles each of a
> lennard-jones fluid. One of them gave me the correct pair distribution
> function for a lennard-jones fluid (converging to 1) and one did not
> (converging to zero). I have attached the .mdp files for both systems
> below. The barostats are different but I don't think this is the cause.
> I think that one worked because of the cut-off specifications (rlist,
> rvdw and rcoulomb), but I am not sure of the explanation of how the
> cut-off values can influence the shape of a pair distribution function.
> The fourier spacing in both parameter files are also different.

Cutoffs can certainly have an effect on the configuration of the system.  The
cutoffs define the short-range interactions, and thus the way the particles
associate with one another.  As for the second .mdp file, I really don't see any
feasible reason to use a 0.3-nm cutoff for rcoulomb and rlist; this is
incredibly short and you are likely truncating prematurely.  What force field
are you using?  Surely you should be using parameters related to what is
specified in the original derivation of the parameter set.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar