[gmx-users] Re: Inconsisten shift Error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 23 22:53:44 CET 2010

teklebrh at ualberta.ca wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> My system is -- simulation a polymer (called PAP) in toluene (TOL)... to
> see the aggregation behavior of the molecule in TOL.
>
> the PAP molecule contains 55 atoms.......
>
> I inserted 8 PAP molecule in a Toluene ..... it works fine.
>
> Energy minimization .... it works fine (to the entire system)

Define "fine" - what were the values of the potential energy and maximum force?

> I am using the ffgmx force field.....

Why?  This force field has long been deprecated.

> I used a 10 X 10 X 10 both with a total of 29749 atoms in the box......
>
> when I start equilibrating my system using NVT ... I got that error.....
>
> Initially I used the berendsen thermostat and got an error of
> segmentation fault but I changed the thermostat as recommended in the
> error to V-rescaling and got this error.......

For initial equilibration, either should be fine, but the fact that the system
crashes suggests that there is something physically unrealistic about the
system.  Change nstxout to 1 and try to capture some frames of what's going
wrong, to see where the crash starts.  Otherwise, consider how you developed the
parameters for both PAP and TOL - did you validate them?  Are they appropriate?

-Justin

> That is it......
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob
>

> Quoting "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>:
>

>> teklebrh at ualberta.ca wrote:
>>> Hi Justin,
>>>
>>> I just checked this error on the archive list but could not found a
>>> reasonable answer ......
>>>
>>> I have done the energy minimization and it is ok Fmax less than 100
>>>
>>> but when I start equilibrating my system I got the following error..
>>>
>>> =================================================
>>> There were 2 inconsistent shifts. Check your topology
>>>
>>> Warning: 1-4 interaction between 18851 and 18856 at distance 42.558
>>> which is larger than the 1-4 table size 1.900 nm
>>>
>>> These are ignored for the rest of the simulation
>>>
>>> This usually means your system is exploding,
>>>

>> Here's the usual advice:
>>
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> tcoupl                   = V-rescale ; modified berendsen thermostat
>>> ; Groups to couple separately
>>> tc-grps                  = PAP TOL
>>
>> What are PAP and TOL?  Are they of sufficient size to justify their
>> own temperature coupling groups?
>>
>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Thermostats
>>
>> Other than that, you'll have to give some information about what your
>> system is, how you built it, and what parameters (force field) you're
>> using.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul