[gmx-users] correlation function 'time value' ?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 27 10:13:55 CET 2010

On 27/02/2010 7:31 PM, Ramachandran G wrote:
> Dear Dr. van der Spoel:
>
> Thanks for the clarification in your reply. One more thing I was just
> curious is that, for C(t) = < f(x).f(x+t) >,
> what is the default value for t, which is often called "correlation
> time", in gromacs for correlation function calculation, especially in
> "g_hbond",
> and/or is it possible to customize the t in gromacs?

t is not the correlation time. t is an arbitrary amount of time, at
which the magnitude of C(t) indicates the extent to which f is
correlated with itself when a set of samples are examined at time
interval t. The (integrated) correlation time is the integral of
(normalized) C(t) over 0 < t < infinity. See section 8.5 of the manual.
I also found the explanations in

Wolff, U. Comput. Phys. Commun. 2004, 156, 143-153.
Madras, N.; Sokal, A. D. J. Stat. Phys. 1988, 50, 109-186.

useful.

Mark