[gmx-users] Opening .o files

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Jan 9 09:49:32 CET 2010

David van der Spoel skrev:
> Lum Nforbi wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>    I am having problems opening the g_energy.o file in the
>> gromacs-4.0.5 folder. Can someone tell me how to open this file? What
>> is the general way of opening .o files?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lum
>>
> this is an intermediate file from the compiler. You do not need to
> open it at any time.

That's not entirely true. I've inspected .o-files at times to find the
reason for certain linker problems. 'objdump', 'readelf' and 'nm' are
examples of linux tools that can extract information form .o-files.
Nevertheless, inspecting such files is only useful in very special
situations. What is it that you intend to do exactly?

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics,
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/molbiophys