[gmx-users] Re: Opening .o files - in response to Erik's question.

Lum Nforbi lumngwegia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 19:27:49 CET 2010

Thanks to Tsjerk, David and Erik for replying.
This is in response to Erik's question on what is it I intend to do exactly.

I would like to view the source code for g_energy so that I can see what
formula was used to calculate Cp as well as viscosity (obtained when the
-vis option is used). I opened gmx_energy.c using gromacs-4.0.5/src/tools$
more gmx_energy.c and found a code which I think is the source code, but it
is quite difficult to comprehend. I guess this code is written in the c++
language, which I am unfamiliar with, so I wanted to see if there was
something else that had an easier-to-understand code and that's why I tried
opening the g_energy.o file. This may be dumb but I am not quite used to the
files and I will eventually get it.

If the gmx_energy.c file is the source code, is there a way convert it into,
for example, fortran?

Thank you,
Lum

> Lum Nforbi wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>>    I am having problems opening the g_energy.o file in the
>> gromacs-4.0.5 folder. Can someone tell me how to open this file? What
>> is the general way of opening .o files?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Lum
>>
> this is an intermediate file from the compiler. You do not need to
> open it at any time.

That's not entirely true. I've inspected .o-files at times to find the
reason for certain linker problems. 'objdump', 'readelf' and 'nm' are
examples of linux tools that can extract information form .o-files.
Nevertheless, inspecting such files is only useful in very special
situations. What is it that you intend to do exactly?