[gmx-users] InflateGRO and trimer simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jan 10 13:50:25 CET 2010

On 1/10/10 5:17 AM, KM wrote:
> Hello Gromacs Users,
>
> I would like to run a simulation of a trimer in a DPPC membrane. I
> really like the elegant solution that inflategro script offers,
> however I'm afraid I won't be able to use it, because I need to have
> lipids in a small space between the monomers right in the center of
> the box and these will certainly get deleted during the whole
> procedure. I also need to keep the waters that come with the structure
> of the protein.
> Do you have any idea how I can elegantly embed my trimer in a
> membrane, possibly using somehow modified inflategro?
>
> Christopher

I've built multimeric systems with InflateGRO, but with a lot less constraints
than you have :)  You can, for instance, run an inflation step with a very
minimal scaling factor (like 1.01 or 1.05) and a very small cutoff (7 or so, but
you'd have to play around with this) so you essentially delete lipids in place
without moving them too much.  I don't know if the necessary lipids between the
monomers will be affected.

As for preserving water molecules, you could probably just extract their
coordinates from a suitably-oriented starting structure and paste them into the
InflateGRO output.

None of this requires modifying InflateGRO, but will likely require a lot of
trial and error, if it even works, given the very specific nature of what you need.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee