[gmx-users] Lipid simulation temperature

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 13 22:13:26 CET 2010

Jian Dai wrote:
> Hi, dear all:
> What is the highest possible simulation temperature for lipid bilayer
> systems. The main transition temperatures for DPPC and POPC are about
> 315K and 270K, respectively. However, we have cholesterols in our systems.
> I've gone through some literatures and found that people used 425K in a
> MC/MD hybrid simulation and 350K in a MD simulation. We are actually
> doing simulated annealing manually, i.e., raise the temperature to a
> high value first (350K) and then cool it down gradually in a series of
> relatively short simulations to 310K and the goal is to make the system
> nicely equilibrate.
> Any suggestions? Thank you.

My guess would be trial and error.  I have seen, for example, at least one REMD
study of a peptide in a membrane using restraints to maintain suitable
properties of the membrane (around 500 K, I believe).  I don't know of any
systematic study that has ever determined how high one can conduct a simulation
and still have the lipid parameters be valid.  Certainly of concern would be the
properties of the water, since at very high temperature the water model will
likely break down, and of course the physical properties of the lipids.  Most
force fields are designed to operate around physiological temperature, and may
be sensitive to extreme conditions.

-Justin

> Jian

Justin A. Lemkul