[gmx-users] CHarmm and popc membrane (response to "Missing Residues are list ind pdb file")

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 18 16:41:04 CET 2010

Hi Stefan and Pär,

I believe that the latest response had the wrong subject, so I am
changing it back.

Pär, two comments:
First, does that option really exist?

$ /scratch/cneale/GPC/exe/intel/gromacs-4.0.7/exec/bin/pdb2gmx -h > z
2>&1; cat z|grep nochargegrp|wc -l

Second, I am not entirely convinced that one can discount the need for
gromacs-style charge groups. When CHARMM includes an atom in the
cutoff, it includes the entire charge group, but that doesn't mean the
algorithms of CHARMM and gromacs are entirely the same, especially
with respect to:

"Since atoms only see each other when the centers of geometry of the charge
   groups they belong to are within the cut-off distance, too large charge
   groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts."

I admit that it has been 3 years since I used CHARMM, but as I recall
the requirement for pair interactions to count within the cutoff is
only that one atom within the charge group is close enough, whereas
the gromacs warning indicates that in gromacs the interaction is only
counted when the center of mass of the charge groups are also within
the cutoff.

Any charmmers out there that can clear this up? I did some searching
on their archives but I was blocked after 3 searches unless I logged
in (ugh!).

I gather that the large charge group listed below is the one that is
spurring the message:

GROUP                  !                 H31
ATOM N    NTL    -0.60 !                 |
ATOM C11  CTL2   -0.10 !             H33-C13-H32
ATOM C12  CTL5   -0.35 !                 |
ATOM C13  CTL5   -0.35 !           H21   |   H43
ATOM C14  CTL5   -0.35 !            |    |   |
ATOM H11  HL      0.25 !       H22-C12---N---C14-H42   (+)
ATOM H12  HL      0.25 !            |    |   |
ATOM H21  HL      0.25 !            H23  |   H41
ATOM H22  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H23  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H31  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H32  HL      0.25 !             H11-C11-H12
ATOM H33  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H41  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H42  HL      0.25 !                 |
ATOM H43  HL      0.25 !                 |