[gmx-users] Comparing different conformations of a polypeptide

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Jan 19 14:40:19 CET 2010

It also depends on what you meen by 'stable'. If it refers to lowest
potential energy, then you can just find the minimum from the edr-file.
Such a conformation may not make any chemical sense though. Could you be
more precise?

/Erik

Erik Marklund skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I guess you want to compare the relevant free energies for the
> ensemble in question. There are plenty of free energy methods around,
> most of them fairly complicated. If you sample conformational space
> enough by brute force simulations, you can get the relative free
> energies for any two states from how often they appear in the
> trajectory. Now, go and brush up your statistical mechanics and
> thermodynamics!
>
> /Erik
>
> nur avneet skrev:
>>

>>     Dear All
>>          I have run different conformations of a polypeptide in spc
>> water
>>     for 1ns, keeping the box size, volume and no. of water molecules
>> same.
>>     Can i compare the enrgies of the different conformations after
>>     simulation and on its basis say which one of them is stable.
>>     also, to see the conformation in its most stable form can i take
>>     that time point when the energy was minimum?
>>          regards
>>     nur

>>     The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo!
>>     Homepage
>> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>.

>> The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage
>> <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_yyi_1/*http://in.yahoo.com/>.

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics,
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/molbiophys