[gmx-users] Potential Energy

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 27 18:55:02 CET 2010

Yanmei Song wrote:
> I did not develop the force field of my molecule by myself. In stead I
> use the literature force field parameters. I guess not all the force
> field need the [pairs]. As long as I can get reasonable experimental
> observables, I can use such force field, right?

No.  Magically getting the right answer from an unsound model does not make the
model right.  I looked into that reference you provided before; these parameters
have little or nothing to do with any sort of Gromos force field, which is what
PRODRG tries to give you (and which I assume you are then using).  The nonbonded
interactions derived in the paper are of Buckingham type, but the default
function type for Gromos96 is standard L-J.  Furthermore, the derivation scheme
used (ab initio geometry and charge calculations) has no relevance to the
Gromos96 derivation scheme (replication of thermodynamic data in the condensed
phase).

Just because you can delete some arbitrary section and make a given parameter
more palatable doesn't mean you should do it, as Mark made quite clear.  You
have to understand the intrinsics of the force field (i.e., read the original
literature) and derive parameters in the same fashion.  As you've been advised,
this is a very advanced topic.  It may take months or years to derive parameters
for a new species, to which I can attest personally!

-Justin

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Mark Abraham <mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
> <mailto:mark.abraham at anu.edu.au>> wrote:

Justin A. Lemkul