[gmx-users] Re: including a custom itp file in topology

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 14:07:25 CET 2010

Hi,

rtp stands for 'Residue ToPology' and is used exclusively for building
block definitions, which are only used by pdb2gmx.
itp stands for 'Include ToPology' and can contain any part of a
topological description of a system, atom types, bond types,
moleculetypes, definitions, to be #included at the right point in the
master topology file. It is often used to separate out moleculetype
definitions, but also the top level force field parameters are
contained in a .itp file (ffoplsaa.itp for example).

For non standard residues, the residue has to be defined as a building
block and put in to a .rtp file in order to allow pdb2gmx to process
it. Non-bonded ligands need not be processed by pdb2gmx. With a proper
description in terms of coordinates and [ moleculetype ] (.itp file),
they can be easily merged with coordinates, c.q. topology as produced
by pdb2gmx.

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk