[gmx-users] another pull-code question

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 2 15:39:55 CEST 2010

Hi guys,

I just wanted to chime in on the idea that "how you perform the
initial pulling to get structures isn't all that important" because I
strongly disagree and think that it is, in general, immensely important.

OK, it's actually not important if we're talking about pulling two Na+
ions, or two entirely rigid molecules in water, because you are not
going to affect their conformations by pulling too quickly. However,
let's take the other extreme and say that one wants to generate
initial conformations of something in a bilayer or an ion in a
membrane channel. In these cases, initial pulling that is too fast can
push the bilayer, ligand, or protein so far out of its equilibrium
conformation that your US will not sample enough simulation time to
re-equilibrate.

To sum-up my point of view, the initial pulling simulations should be
done as slowly as you can afford, and if you want to have some
confidence that your rate is "slow enough", then you should probably
run at rate=k and rate=k/10 and check that the starting structures
that you get are not separated from each other by huge barriers
resulting from some non-equilibrium response at rate=k that was not
observed at rate=k/10. Even if you don't go through some procedure
like the one above, there is still no need to take risks by limiting
your setup pulling simulation to 1 hour of simulation when you're
going to then spend the next 2 months doing US (garbage in = garbage
out).

Chris.