[gmx-users] B-factor

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Jul 4 13:30:11 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Tsjerk Wassenaar <tsjerkw at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, July 2, 2010 14:10
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] B-factor
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

> Hi,
>
> >> ATOM 12 CA SER 2 23.444 51.157 35.390 1.00257.41
> >
> > The last column is the occupancy (1.00) and temperature factor
> numbers> concatenated. You can fix the symptoms by editing the
> file by hand so that
> > these numbers occupy the right columns - see the PDB format.
> >
> > This illustrates buggy behaviour from GROMACS.
> src/tools/gmx_rmsf.c probably
> > needs to call set_pdb_wide_format(TRUE) before
> write_sto_conf_indexed().> Please file a bugzilla (see GROMACS
> webpage).>
>
> I disagree. The PDB file is fixed width, and the format for the
> b-factor field is %6.2f. This means that the above line is a proper
> PDB ATOM definition. Using the Gromacs pdb_wide_format generates
> a PDB
> file that may not be compatible with other programs. I would argue

True. I misread what was happening with the pdbform variable and leapt to a conclusion. The observed GROMACS behaviour now looks correct. I don't recall what symptoms the OP had, but presumably they were related to the function of the correctly-formatted file with some (other) software that assumes space-delimited PDB fields.

Mark