[gmx-users] problem while simulating metal ions

Kwee Hong jestan1985 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 03:36:24 CEST 2010

Hi.

I'm trying to subject a metalloprotein bound to cadmium to  a molecular
dynamics. I've defined the cadmium ion in the atom type  parameter file
(ffGa56a6.atp) and residue database (ffG53a6.rtp). And  the bond length and bond
angle between the cadmium and sulphur of the metalloprotein had been  define in
the force field file, too (ffG53a6abon.itp). As special bond  is expected to be
formed between the sulphur of cysteine and the cadmium  ions, I've added the
relevant information into specbond.dat.

But when I  run the pdb2gmx, there is no entries in the [ bonds ] and [ angles ]
for  those bond length and bond angle. And of course, as there is no entries  in
those parameter, there was no cadmium-thiolate bond observed when I  visualised
the structure using pymol. So, does that mean  that I would need to  add them on
manually?

To proceed with my simulation, I added the  values in [ bonds ] and [ angles ]
manually. And as I do not have the  relevant dihedral angle value from the
literature, I've deleted those  entries in my topology file and continue to
prepare and subject the  protein to energy minimization. During EM, the
potential energy of the  system started to remain constant at step 124 and
eventually steepest  descents converged to machine precision in 128 steps with
the maximum  force is on atom 279 which would be one of the cadmium ions in the
system. When I visualised the system, one water molecule was found to  attached
with atom 279, so I deleted that water molecule and subject the  system to em
again. Yet the same thing occur after running for 49  steps. What had gone wrong
with my system? Is that cadmium molecule had  been running too far until it has
gone out of the protein as water  molecule are not suppose to come into the
protein.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,