[gmx-users] problems with g_wham

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 8 15:43:47 CEST 2010

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> Hi Justin
>
> I am not using periodic boundary conditions for the simulations. I may
> have sorted it out now. I was generating velocities in the umbrella.mdp
> file, I have since set gen_vel = no, and the histogram has the correct
> shape (should this make a difference?)

If you generate velocities without doing equilibration, then your system may not
be at equilibrium and thus you are doing inaccurate sampling.  Thus, if your
system gets kicked in the wrong direction, the umbrella potential may have to
fight to pull the desired group back to where it thinks it should be, might be
overcompensating, etc.

-Justin

> Cheers
>
> Gavin
>
> Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>> Have you watched the trajectory?  That will show you what your pull
>> group is doing.  Is this a periodicity effect?  It should be fairly
>> obvious iff the sign of dX, etc flip-flops in the pullx.xvg file.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> Gavin Melaugh wrote:
>>> Thanks Chris and Justin
>>>
>>> I do get the output I want from grompp(below). The distance of 5.507 nm
>>> is the distance that I want to start with and I assume it is therefore
>>> the equilibrium distance for the harmonic potential. The COM distances
>>> from the simulations fluctuate around this value which is what I want,
>>> although my histogram is the wrong shape.
>>>
>>> Pull group  natoms  pbc atom  distance at start     reference at t=0
>>>        0               84        42
>>>        1               84       126
>>> 5.507                 5.507
>>>
>>> Cheers