[gmx-users] number of degrees of frredom

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 12 17:46:27 CEST 2010

Moeed wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> The actual box I got by replicating monomer units has size of 15 0.5
> 0.5!!!! That is chain has no space to move. I know you have already
> given me some tips on high repulsion in the system but that had to do
> with incorrect topology file. I assure you I have learned a lot from
> your tips ;)

I'm glad to hear it.  The same principal still applies, though.  If a large
system is failing, break it down into manageable pieces to determine where
things start to break down.  It is easier to solve one problem at a time than
several.

> This time I need to have such packed system because that gives me the
> density I want. 0.9g/cm3 for PE! for a chain of 60 ethylene units the
> size should be identical to the actual size 15 0.5 0.5. And I am
> wondering how can I work with much longer chains ( 20 times longer)...

You've been given advice about this.  You probably will have to simulate within
a larger box and slowly compress your system.  You have constructed a linear
chain of PE within a pre-defined box that gives you the density you want.  Ask
yourself this: is that what PE looks like, completely rigid and extended?
Certainly not.  The better approach would be as Vitaly and Chris have suggested
- take a single molecule of PE in a very large box (forget your density for a
moment) and simulate it.  It will probably adopt a much more reasonable
structure that you can then work with.  Then slowly build up your system - 2, 4,
8 units - and it will likely be far more stable.  If your box fits your system
exactly, your atoms will be extremely close to one another and you will get a
huge vdW repulsion.  If you've learned anything from me, you should already know
that I want you to break down your energy terms to see what's failing...

> md grompp is giving error about degrees of freedom. Any advise on this
> in appreciated...
>
> Thank you,
>
> md
> grompp****************************************************************************
> aking dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 2896 elements
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Eth is 5373.22
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthB is 211.89
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthE is 211.89
> Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 2896 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 2896 elements
> T-Coupling       has 3 element(s): Eth EthB EthE
> Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
> Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
> Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
> User1            has 1 element(s): rest
> User2            has 1 element(s): rest
> VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
> XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
> Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
> QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest

There is no error message here.  What's the problem?

> mdpfile**************************************************************************************
>
> title               =  PE-Hexane
> ;define                   =  -DPOSRES   ; tells gromacs to perform
> position restrained dynamics/include posre.itp into topology used for
> position restraint
> pbc                       =  xyz                ; use priodic BCs in all
> directions
>
> ;               Run control
> integrator          =  md               ; type of dynamics algorithm.
> Here md uses a leap-frog algorithm for integrating Newtons's eq of motion
> dt                  =  0.002            ; in ps !
> nsteps              =  5000             ; length of simulation= nsteps*dt
> nstcomm             =  1                ; frequency for center of mass
> motion removal
>
> ;               Output control
> nstenergy           =  100              ; frequency to write energies to
> energy file. i.e., energies and other statistical data are stored every
> 10 steps
> nstxout             =  100              ; frequency to write
> coordinates/velocity/force to output trajectory file. how often
> snapshots are collected= nstxout*dt
> nstvout             =  100
> nstfout             =  0
> nstlog              =  100              ; frequency to write energies to
> log file
> nstxtcout                 =  10         ; frequency to write coordinates
> to xtc trajectory
>
> ;               Neighbor searching
> nstlist             =  10               ; frequency to update neighbor
> list. Neighborlist will be updated at least every 10 steps. Manual p80
> ns_type             =  grid             ; make a grid in the box and
> only check atoms in neighboring grid cells when constructing a new
> neighbor list every nstlist steps
>
> ;               Electrostatics/VdW
> coulombtype         =  Shift        ; tells gromacs how to model
> electrostatics. Coulomb/LJ potential is decreased over the whole range
> and forces decay smoothly to zero betw$
> vdw-type                =  Shift        ; rcoulomb-switch/rvw-switch &
> rcoulomb/rvdw
> rcoulomb-switch     =  0                ; where to start switching the
> Coulomb potential
> rvw-switch          =  0                ; where to start switching the
> LJ potential
>
> ;               Cut-offs
> rlist               =  1.1              ; in nm. Cut-off distance for
> short-range neighbor list
> rcoulomb            =  1.0              ; distance for coulomb cut-off
> rvdw                =  1.0              ; distance for coulomb cut-off
>
> ;               Temperature coupling
> Tcoupl              =  berendsen
> tc-grps             =  Eth  EthB  EthE  ;HEX            ; groups to

OK, this is a terrible idea.  You've broken down a bonded molecule into pieces,
something that is completely unphysical.  Imagine if we coupled individual amino
acids of a protein separately...

I'll assume this is the source of your error message, but if that's not the
case, please be sure to actually provide all the relevant information.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee