[gmx-users] grommp_md error

Moeed lecielll at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 13 05:08:18 CEST 2010

Hello,

Sorry I did not paste the error message part properly. Initially I am trying
to study PE in vacuum (current box size 30*30*30 nm) and then I will solvate
the PE with Hexane.

NOTE 1 [file md-July11-NPTcompression.mdp, line unknown]:
  The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
  distribution. You might want to consider using the V-rescale thermostat.

Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ffoplsaa.itp
Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ffoplsaanb.itp
Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ffoplsaabon.itp
Generated 332520 of the 332520 non-bonded parameter combinations
Generating 1-4 interactions: fudge = 0.5
Generated 332520 of the 332520 1-4 parameter combinations
Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/spc.itp
Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/ions.itp
Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'polymer'
processing coordinates...
double-checking input for internal consistency...
Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 300 K
renumbering atomtypes...
converting bonded parameters...
initialising group options...
processing index file...
Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
Making dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 2896 elements
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Eth is 5373.22
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthB is 211.89
Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group EthE is 211.89
Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 2896 elements
Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 2896 elements
T-Coupling       has 3 element(s): Eth EthB EthE
Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
User1            has 1 element(s): rest
User2            has 1 element(s): rest
VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest
Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...
writing run input file...

There was 1 note

There was 1 warning

Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.7
Source code file: gmx_fatal.c, line: 481

Fatal error:
Too many warnings (1), grompp terminated.
If you are sure all warnings are harmless, use the -maxwarn option.

"My Heart is Just a Muscle In a Cavity" (F. Black)

                         :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

               Gromacs Runs One Microsecond At Cannonball Speeds

                            :-)  VERSION 4.0.7  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                      :-)  grompp (double precision)  (-:

processing topology...
turning all bonds into constraints...
Analysing residue names:
There are:   240      OTHER residues
There are:     0    PROTEIN residues
There are:     0        DNA residues
Analysing Other...
This run will generate roughly 14 Mb of data

Then I altered the tc groups in mdp file to Polymer and use n option in
grompp.

grompp -f md-July11-NPTcompression.mdp -c PE60_b4pr -p PE60.top -o PE60_md
-n index.ndx >& output.grompp_md

(actually I wanted to what how tc group names are based on? I thought they
come from residue names, then I changed index file [all] name to [polymer]
index file:
[ special ]
  1  3
[ Polymer ]
  1  2  3  4
error:******************************************************************
WARNING 1 [file md-July11-NPTcompression.mdp, line unknown]:
  Unknown or double left-hand 'rvw-switch' in parameter file

[...]

Source code file: readir.c, line: 1069

Fatal error:
358 atoms are not part of any of the T-Coupling groups

"Rat-tat-tat Ka boom boom" (The Smashing Pumpkins)

                         :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

           Glycine aRginine prOline Methionine Alanine Cystine Serine

                            :-)  VERSION 4.0.7  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                      :-)  grompp (double precision)  (-:

processing topology...
turning all bonds into constraints...
.

2- I have a question about doing NPT for compressing the system. Can I also
do NVT for a short time and when the chain has a more realistic structure ,
take that structure and change the volume myself? I am just asking for the
sake of learning.. This doesnt mean I am not going to do follow your
advise..

3- Also If I want to find the pressure which gives the size I want, I need
to wait till the end of simulation to see the volume (eg with g_energy) and
repeat this to find the desired volume by try and error?

Thanks :)
mdp file:

title               =  PE-Hexane

;define           =  -DPOSRES    ; tells gromacs to perform position
restrained dynamics/include posre.itp into topology used for position
restraint
pbc              =  xyz        ; use priodic BCs in all directions

;        Run control
integrator          =  md        ; type of dynamics algorithm. Here md uses
a leap-frog algorithm for integrating Newtons's eq of motion
dt                  =  0.002        ; in ps !
nsteps              =  5000        ; length of simulation=
nsteps*dt
nstcomm             =  1        ; frequency for center of mass motion
removal

;        Output control
nstenergy           =  100        ; frequency to write energies to energy
file. i.e., energies and other statistical data are stored every 10 steps
nstxout             =  100        ; frequency to write
coordinates/velocity/force to output trajectory file. how often snapshots
are collected= nstxout*dt
nstvout             =  100
nstfout             =  0
nstlog              =  100        ; frequency to write energies to log file
nstxtcout          =  10        ; frequency to write coordinates to xtc
trajectory

;        Neighbor searching
nstlist             =  10        ; frequency to update neighbor list.
Neighborlist will be updated at least every 10 steps. Manual p80
ns_type             =  grid        ; make a grid in the box and only check
atoms in neighboring grid cells when constructing a new neighbor list every
nstlist steps

;        Electrostatics/VdW
coulombtype         =  Shift        ; tells gromacs how to model
electrostatics. Coulomb/LJ potential is decreased over the whole range and
forces decay smoothly to zero between
vdw-type            =  Shift      ; rcoulomb-switch/rvw-switch &
rcoulomb/rvdw
rcoulomb-switch     =  0        ; where to start switching the Coulomb
potential
rvw-switch          =  0        ; where to start switching the LJ
potential

;        Cut-offs
rlist               =  1.1        ; in nm. Cut-off distance for short-range
neighbor list
rcoulomb            =  1.0        ; distance for coulomb cut-off
rvdw                =  1.0        ; distance for coulomb cut-off

;        Temperature coupling
Tcoupl              =  berendsen
tc-grps             =  polymer    ;HEX            ; groups to couple to
thermostat; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in these groups
tau_t               =  0.1     ;0.1            ; time constant for T
coupling
ref_t               =  300     ;300            ; reference T for coupling.
When you alter the T, don't forget to change the gen_temp for velocity
generation

;        Pressure coupling
Pcoupl              =  berendsen    ; Pressure coupling is not on
Pcoupltype          =  isotropic     ; means the box expands and contracts
in all directions (x,y,z) in order to maintain the proper pressure
tau_p               =  0.5        ; time constant for coupling in ps
compressibility     =  4.5e-5        ; compressibility of solvent used in
simulation in 1/bar
ref_p               =  1.0        ; reference P for coupling in bar

;        Velocity generation      Generate velocites is on at 300 K. Manual
p155
gen_vel             =  yes        ; generate velocites according to Maxwell
distribution at T: gen_temp with random gen seed gen_seed
gen_temp            =  300.0        ; T for Maxwell distribution
gen_seed            =  173529        ; used to initialize random generator
for random velocities

;        Bonds
constraints         =  all-bonds    ; sets the LINCS constraint for all
bonds
constraint-algorithm = lincs