[gmx-users] grompp errors

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 13 18:57:19 CEST 2010

Amanda Watkins wrote:
> [...]
> mdrun, I get this message:
>
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'title'
> Ignoring obsolete mdp entry 'cpp'
> Replacing old mdp entry 'unconstrained_start' by 'continuation'
>
> Back Off! I just backed up mdout.mdp to ./#mdout.mdp.18#
> checking input for internal consistency...
>
> NOTE 1 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
>   For energy conservation with switch/shift potentials, rlist should be 0.1
>   to 0.3 nm larger than rcoulomb.
>

> NOTE 2 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
>   For energy conservation with switch/shift potentials, rlist should be 0.1
>   to 0.3 nm larger than rvdw.
>
> processing topology...
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffG53a6.itp
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffG53a6nb.itp
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ffG53a6bon.itp
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ff_dum.itp
> Generated 165 of the 1596 non-bonded parameter combinations
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/spc.itp
> Opening library file /usr/share/gromacs/top/ions.itp
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'Protein_A'
> Excluding 3 bonded neighbours molecule type 'DPC'
>
> NOTE 3 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   System has non-zero total charge: -1.000001e+00
>

> processing coordinates...
> double-checking input for internal consistency...
> renumbering atomtypes...
> converting bonded parameters...
>
> ERROR 1 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   atom NC3 (Res DPC-1) has mass 0
>

> ERROR 2 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   atom PO4 (Res DPC-1) has mass 0
>

> ERROR 3 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   atom C1 (Res DPC-1) has mass 0
>

> ERROR 4 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   atom C2 (Res DPC-1) has mass 0
>

> ERROR 5 [file 1qjp.top, line 8723]:
>   atom C3 (Res DPC-1) has mass 0
>

> There were 3 notes

> Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.7
> Source code file: ../../../../src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 986
>
> Fatal error:
> There were 5 errors in input file(s)
>
> "Take Your Medications and Preparations and Ram It Up Your Snout" (F. Zappa)
>

> *Here is the file that it is having trouble processing:
>
> dpc1.itp:
>
> ; topology for a dodecylphosphocholine lipid
>
> [ moleculetype ]
> ; Name   nrexcl
> DPC     3
>
> [ atoms ]
> ;   nr    type   resnr  residu    atom    cgnr        charge          mass
>      1      NL       1    DPC     NC3       1         0.0    ; qtot: 2.24
>      2        P       1    DPC     PO4       1         0.0    ; qtot: 3.28
>      3     CH2       1    DPC      C1       1         0.0    ; qtot: 1
>      4     CH2       1    DPC      C2       1         0.0    ; qtot: 1
>      5     CH3       1    DPC      C3       1         0.0    ; qtot: 3
>
> Is there something that I am inputing wrong? Or is it that I need to
> regenerate the DPC molecules to include all of the atoms within the
> molecule? Whenever I tried to use the other .itp file it gives me the

Do you have incomplete molecules?  That would seem to be a huge problem.

The errors come from the fact that you do not have masses listed in the topology
for at least a few of your atoms.  See Chapter 5 for the topology format, but
more importantly, note that you have a "mass" column with nothing under it.

-Justin

> error that there is an atom difference. This new error is my attempt to
> fix this error.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> ~Amanda Watkins
>
> SBC 2012