[gmx-users] Charge grps and cut-off

Sai Pooja saipooja at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 02:46:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to reproduce results from a paper which uses this cutoff. The
work is on loop-folding and they use implicit solvent. I am using explicit
solvent with charmm 27. Below is my mdp file. I am not sure if there is any
advantage in using a large cut-off.

; VARIOUS PREPROCESSING OPTIONS
title                    = NVT simulation (constant number, pressure and
temperature)
cpp                      = /lib/cpp
define                   =-DPOSRES

; RUN CONTROL PARAMETERS
integrator               = md
dt                       = 0.002
nsteps                   = 100000

; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
nstxout                  = 10000
nstvout                  = 0
nstfout                  = 0
nstlog                   = 10000
nstenergy                = 10000
nstxtcout                = 0
xtc_precision            = 0
xtc-grps                 = System
energygrps               = Protein Non-Protein

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 5
ns-type                  = Grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.8

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
coulombtype              = PME
fourierspacing           = 0.12
rcoulomb                 = 1.8
epsilon_rf               = 78
vdw-type                 = Cut-off
rvdw                     = 1.8

; FFT grid size, when a value is 0 fourierspacing will be used =
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
; EWALD/PME/PPPM parameters =
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = no

; Temperature coupling
Tcoupl                   = Berendsen
tc-grps                  = Protein  Non-Protein
tau_t                    = 0.2      0.2
ref_t                    = 300      300

; Pressure coupling
Pcoupl                   = Berendsen
Pcoupltype               = Isotropic
tau_p                    = 1.0
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.0

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN
gen_vel                  = no    ; Assign velocities to particles by taking
them randomly from a Maxwell distribution
gen_temp                 = 300.0  ; Temperature to generate corresponding
Maxwell distribution
gen_seed                 = 9999   ; Seed for (semi) random number
generation.

; OPTIONS
constraints              = all-bonds

Pooja

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Sai Pooja wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am getting these notes when I run grompp:
>>
>> NOTE 3 [file Init/ffsb_init.top]:
>>  The largest charge group contains 12 atoms.
>>  Since atoms only see each other when the centers of geometry of the
>> charge
>>  groups they belong to are within the cut-off distance, too large charge
>>  groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts.
>>  For efficiency and accuracy, charge group should consist of a few atoms.
>>  For all-atom force fields use: CH3, CH2, CH, NH2, NH, OH, CO2, CO, etc.
>>
>> initialising group options...
>> processing index file...
>> Analysing residue names:
>> There are:  3484      OTHER residues
>> There are:    67    PROTEIN residues
>> There are:     0        DNA residues
>> There are:     0        RNA residues
>> Analysing Protein...
>> Analysing Other...
>> Making dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 11343 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 11343 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 11343 elements
>> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group Protein is 1777.76
>> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group non-Protein is 20898.23
>> Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 11343 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 11343 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 10450 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 11343 elements
>> Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 11343 elements
>> T-Coupling       has 2 element(s): Protein non-Protein
>> Energy Mon.      has 2 element(s): Protein non-Protein
>> Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
>> Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
>> User1            has 1 element(s): rest
>> User2            has 1 element(s): rest
>> VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
>> XTC              has 2 element(s): Protein rest
>> Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
>> QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest
>> Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...
>> Largest charge group radii for Van der Waals: 0.288, 0.263 nm
>> Largest charge group radii for Coulomb:       0.288, 0.263 nm
>>
>> NOTE 4 [file nvtp.mdp]:
>>  The sum of the two largest charge group radii (0.551009) is larger than
>>  rlist (2.000000) - rvdw (2.000000)
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to correct these?
>>

> Note 3 is explained in detail in the error message.  Beyond that, read
> about the group concept in the manual.
>
> I've never seen Note 4 before, but a 2-nm cutoff is a bit strange for a
> protein simulation.  Any reason you're using such large cutoffs?  You may
> also want to provide your whole .mdp file to see if anyone can spot the
> underlying issue.
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul
> Ph.D. Candidate
> ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
> MILES-IGERT Trainee
> Department of Biochemistry
> [...]

Quaerendo Invenietis-Seek and you shall discover.