[gmx-users] Tabulated potentials and performance

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 20:49:11 CEST 2010

On 19/07/10 18:32, Da-Wei Li wrote:
> I remember the manu states that it won't cost too much compared with
> standard potential function form.

Well, I find in the manual exactly the opposite:
"Note that table lookup is significantly slower than computation of the
most simple Lennard-Jones and Coulomb interaction." (p.133)

But I am already using tables for most nonbonded interactions and the
performance is OK. What I would like to know is, if I increase the
*number of tables* (keeping the number of particles/interactions the
same, but, say, using two tables where I used only one before), is it
going to be significantly worse or not?

thanks!
m.