[gmx-users] Averege structure

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 26 01:09:13 CEST 2010

pawan raghav wrote:
> I have done 15ns MD simulations at 300k temp for a protein finally
> obtained an average structure from g_rmsf. so please tell me is output
> average structure is a sampled structure? is there no need of remd or
> sampling further because I got plateau in RMSD calculation at last?

Some useful information:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Average_Structure

> I have strongly energy minimize by first steepest second by conjugate
> gradient of my protein after simulation was completed. I have got 81%
> residues in core region of RC plot by using this energy minimization
> method. I have also used SPDBv instead of former one method for EM but
> got 91% core region residues. Which methods should I choose to get the
> good model? what are the essential criteria for a good model?

Energy minimization simply provides a reasonable starting structure for MD
simulation.  Different methods can certainly produce different results; it's up
to you to determine what the functional significance of these changes might be.

> Pawan

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar