[gmx-users] Re: NPT and NVT simulations

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 30 16:45:13 CEST 2010

Nilesh Dhumal wrote:
> I put the constraints on PA-NE to keep the bond length 3.5 A.
> After calculating the g_dist I noted that the  bond length is atound 5.5
> A. Can you tell why its taking 5.5 A.
> If I difine contraints=all-bonds in mdp file then it shows 3.5 A proper
> bond length.

 From your original post some time ago, it was not clear that you only had one
bond to deal with.  If this is the case, then your approach sounds fine, just
use a normal [ bonds ] directive and set "constraints = all-bonds."  As you say,
that works, so I don't see what the problem is.  Are you going to be developing
a more complex system for which you don't want other bonds constrained, just the
one defined below?  Another approach would be a distance restraint, but I don't
believe that will absolutely fix the distance, unless your tolerance is set very
strictly.

-Justin