[gmx-users] Re: hydrogen bonds

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jul 31 00:55:16 CEST 2010

Vasilis Georgilas wrote:
> I didn't get why the command i propsed won't work.

Because you typed:

a HO a OM a O

I assumed you meant you would actually try this with make_ndx.  It is wrong for
several reasons, the most immediate of which is the use of "a" with atom types.
  To use "a" you must supply atom *names* not types.  If you want to specify any
selections based on types, you must provide a .tpr file as input and use "t"
instead of "a."

> My idea, according what you proposed, is to use make_ndx and then make 3
> groups:
>
> oxygen with the doble bond, oxyegn of carboxyle and hydroxele

These groups sound almost correct, but they do not correspond to what you typed
before.  You can't specify the hydrogen as its own group, since it won't be
connected to its donor atom (O4).  To specify the hydroxyl, for example, what
you want is:

a H2 | a O4

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul