[gmx-users] vibrational spectra of glucose

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 04:24:06 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Nilesh Dhumal <ndhumal at andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:37
Subject: [gmx-users] vibrational spectra of glucose
To: gmx-users at gromacs.org

> Hello,
>
> I want to  calculate the normal vibrational spectra of PF6 anion.
>  After the energy minimization, I found that the structure
> has lost his
> symmetry. It does not have Oh symetry.  I compared this

That's normal. QM codes go to great lengths to recognize symmetry and use it because it makes the calculation quicker. MD codes don't bother, because they don't get used for systems with such high symmetry.

> structre with
> ab-initio which is not matching.
> I have pasted the input file for energy minimzation.
> WHy structure is loosing its symmetry or why its not giving
> proper local
> minima.

It'll "lose" symmetry if it didn't have it to start with (so you'll need the axes to line up with F-P-F vectors), or if the force field is assymetric.

I don't know of any force field that would claim to support parameters for PF6 anion, but presumably you've done your homework there. If so, the documentation there should mention how they ran it.

This looks like a much easier problem for a QM code to solve - B3LYP/6-31G* is probably better than any MM parameterization, and with high symmetry, maybe quicker too!

Mark