[gmx-users] Running gromacs in parallel on multicore machine

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 2 01:38:23 CEST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Sikandar Mashayak <symashayak at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 8:39
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Running gromacs in parallel on multicore machine
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

> well I installed the mpi enabled mdrun and execute it with option -np 8, but still I see only core is being used at 100% instead of 8.
>
> Is there additional settings to be done to correct this.?

Copying and pasting your actual input and output is much more useful than filtering things through your head.

What's your actual command line? Does the top of the GROMACS logfile indicate you're running on 8 processors? If so, what time does -np1 take to run vs -np 8?

Indications of core utilization can be meaningless, since they rely on definitions of work that may not be valid.

Mark