[gmx-users] RE:Range checking error

lloyd riggs lloyd.riggs at gmx.ch
Wed Jun 2 16:55:47 CEST 2010

Dear All,

Before I start, I have already searched through the mailing list archives, etc...and have energy minimized my structure (s) ;

I get the range check error;
Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.

Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 .. 19683 ]

does anyone have a fix for this?

I have first energy minimized my structures.  There are two seperate proteins with two seperate protein domains (chain a,b each) making up two receptors which interact with eachother transiently, or strongly in the presence of a molecule.  The two proteins are seperated (manually) by 10 angstroms.

I first energy minimized these, then added waters and ions.  I had problems with force fields that recognized all the ions (Mg2+, Ca2+, K+, Na+, Cl-) and ended up using the oplsaa force fields.

Now, I try an initial run, MD or a simple 100 step energy minimization, prior to a long run, and get the above error again and again.  The two scripts mentioned are below inline.  I have however played around with everything I could.  I have also started from scratch 3 times, ie the initial proteins-minimize-add waters/ions-and then it crashes?

Also, does anyone know what the variable "ci" is?

Thanks for any help

Stephan Watkins
Energy minimize short;

title               =