[gmx-users] gromacs installation and test set

Gu, Xiang xgu at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jun 3 15:19:14 CEST 2010

Dear Justin,

(1) sorry, my ignorance; threads was enabled when installing FFTW
instead of Gromacs, I should have said "configured with --enable-float
and --enable-mpi" (and actually this is what I did).

(2) I think I used OpenMPI.

(3) Thank you. Is there anyway to fix the grompp?

Xiang

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Gu, Xiang wrote:
>> Hi, all,
>>
>> I'm trying to install a parallel version of gromacs-4.0.7 under my
>> own account (on our campus supercomputing center, configured with
>> --enable-threads, --enable-float, --enable-mpi, and prefixed with
>> specified directory), because I need to develop some new extensions
>> for our research and will have to do code modification and debugging
>> from time to time.
>>

> There is no point to using --enable-threads in version 4.0.7 - there's
> no thread support yet.
>
>> Now the installation went through (I felt there was no severe error
>> information shown). But when I started running it parallely, the
>> mdrun program seemed to crash at the first MPI command it encountered
>> (the MPI_Bcast in line 372 of gmxlib/network.c). It is not yet
>> addressed what has gone wrong in the installation and I was trying to
>> run the test set to get some information. I wonder if I had put the
>> gmxtest directory at proper place, since after I sourced GMXRC and
>> ran gmxtest.pl, for all the cases I was told "No topol.tpr file in
>> kernel ...".
>>

> What is your MPI implementation?  OpenMPI, MPICH, etc?
>
>> It would be quite appreciated if someone could guess what might have
>> been wrong with the installation; also is it worth running the test
>> set for locating the problem? and what does the error information "No
>> topol.tpr file in kernel ..." imply?
>>

> The test set is not terribly useful, and certainly won't diagnose this
> issue for you.  If you've failed to generate the necessary .tpr file,
> then errors occurred in grompp that prevented the .tpr file from being
> generated.
>
> -Justin
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Xiang Gu

Xiang Gu, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Applied Physics
Helsinki University of Technology (TKK), Finland
Tel: +358-9-470 23137
Email: xgu at cc.hut.fi
http://tfy.tkk.fi/soft/