[gmx-users] Creation of a Non-Standard Residue

Mark Zottola mzottola at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 02:38:57 CEST 2010

Let me clarify.

I have no problem determining the bond stretching or angle bending
parameters for HCN.  This was a very straightforward task.  Unit conversion
to get those values in a gromacs force field was also a non-issue.

The problems I am having are:

1) How do I specify a POLAR hydrogen on a carbon atom?  There are polar
hydrogens (or so it seems) in the gromacs forcei field, but ostensibly they
are on heteroatoms such as nitrogen or oxyen.  Is there a way to force
gromacs to let a polar hydrogen on a carbon?

2) I AM looking for advice on the van der Waals parameters.  Yes, I can
guess and tweak until the cows come home, but obviously there are
recommendations which I do not know.  So... any suggestions on this.

3)  The problem is quite simple, I want to develop parameters for HCN so I
can use it as both ligand AND as a component n a solvent box.  I do have the
formula (4 or 5 steps from the web) to create my solvent box, but I need to
have HCN properly parameterized.

4)  I am asking for this as I cannot use the Dundee server to make the
appropriate topology file.

The warning blurb was good at saying "Parameter development is done by
professionals, so please do not try this at home."  I am asking for help in
the above issues as I am new to GROMACS but NOT other MD programs.

Thanks again for any help.