[gmx-users] Creation of a Non-Standard Residue

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jun 4 03:52:43 CEST 2010

Mark Zottola wrote:
> Let me clarify.
>
> I have no problem determining the bond stretching or angle bending
> parameters for HCN.  This was a very straightforward task.  Unit
> conversion to get those values in a gromacs force field was also a
> non-issue.
>
> The problems I am having are:
>
> 1) How do I specify a POLAR hydrogen on a carbon atom?  There are polar
> hydrogens (or so it seems) in the gromacs forcei field, but ostensibly
> they are on heteroatoms such as nitrogen or oxyen.  Is there a way to
> force gromacs to let a polar hydrogen on a carbon?

You can specify whatever you want in the topology, as long as you can justify
that it is consistent with the underlying force field model.  For instance,
aromatic C-H pairs are represented by explicit hydrogens in the Gromos force fields.

> 2) I AM looking for advice on the van der Waals parameters.  Yes, I can
> guess and tweak until the cows come home, but obviously there are
> recommendations which I do not know.  So... any suggestions on this.

This is a tough task.  Much of the Gromos derivation relies on empirical fitting
and tweaking to reproduce condensed-phase behavior.  You could start with a few
existing atom types, simulating a box of HCN, and revising based on the results
you get (densities, heat of vaporization, etc).  The primary literature on the
derivation of these parameter sets is a bit sparse, but you should be able to
get started.

> 3)  The problem is quite simple, I want to develop parameters for HCN so
> I can use it as both ligand AND as a component n a solvent box.  I do
> have the formula (4 or 5 steps from the web) to create my solvent box,
> but I need to have HCN properly parameterized.

As is the case for any small molecule :)

> 4)  I am asking for this as I cannot use the Dundee server to make the
> appropriate topology file.
>
> The warning blurb was good at saying "Parameter development is done by
> professionals, so please do not try this at home."  I am asking for help
> in the above issues as I am new to GROMACS but NOT other MD programs.

I would estimate that 95% of the parameterization questions asked on the list
are posted by people in way over their heads, so it is good to know your
experience level.  I would say that the best approach is (unfortunately)
somewhat empirical, but such is the nature of the beast with Gromos force
fields.  Some simple QM might give you a start for calculating charges, but as I
understand it, QM was used in the Gromos derivations only to get relative
electron densities around all of the atoms, after which charges were assigned
(empirically) and revised to fit condensed-phase behavior.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar