[gmx-users] 1-4 interaction not within cut-off

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Jun 5 02:25:04 CEST 2010

Rabab Toubar wrote:
> they are stating explicitly that it is a twin range cutoff
> the manual states that
> "vdwtype:
>      Cut-off
>           Twin range cut-off’s with neighbor list cut-off rlist and VdW
> cut-off rvdw, where
>           rvdw ≥ rlist."
> "coulombtype:
>      Cut-off
>           Twin range cut-off’s with neighborlist cut-off rlist and
> Coulomb cut-off rcoulomb, where rcoulomb ≥ rlist."
>
> because rlist is not stated so I left it as default value 1nm according
> to the manual because rcoulomb and rvdw can both be ≥ rlist.

These are generalizations.  Since a plain cutoff is essentially a special case
of a twin-range cutoff, then it can be stated that cutoffs are "twin range."

If rlist=rcoulomb=rvdw you most certainly do not have a twin-range nonbonded
setup.  It is a plain truncation.  Please consult some basic textbook material
for the theory and proper implementation of a twin-range cutoff scheme.

> the authors didn't set any constraints, and I didn't use any. For the
> restraints I used pr.mdp and this step went well.

They most certainly did set constraints!  From the text you quoted:

"...time step for all simulations is 2fs and LINCS method was used to constrain
bonds lengths."

> Is there any changes I can do for the md.mdp while sticking to the
> paper's methods, like may be increasing the table-extension as it was
> suggested in the error message?

Never adjust the table-extension parameter.  The simple fact is that your system
is blowing up, and no amount of coaxing this parameter into cooperation will fix
broken model physics.  I see two possibilities for fixing the instability:

1. Use constraints with a 2-fs timestep
2. Do not use a plain Coulombic cutoff.  Use PME.  I understand you're trying to
follow a previously-described methodology, but the text you quoted simply
neglects long-range interactions, both LJ and Coulombic.  Twin-range cutoffs
apply to short-range interactions, and do not preclude the use of a stable
long-range method like PME.

> And if I want to define the electrostatics properly, is there anything
> more than setting the coulombtype for electrostatics as PME? or this
> would be only for short range electrostatics and another term is used
> for long range elecrtrostatics?

PME is a long-range method, dealing with terms that fall beyond rcoulomb.
Anything within rcoulomb is short-range.

> I know I won't learn GMX in a few days, but I am trying to get all the
> help that I could get

If you're just starting out, then textbook reading and tutorials are absolutely
requisite.  I would also recommend trying to find a paper with more detailed
methodology.  IMHO, the text you quote leaves out several important details,
making the results difficult to reproduce.

-Justin