[gmx-users] 100 step md run: Infinite giga flopses error

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 8 17:04:46 CEST 2010

Sai Pooja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running a very short md run for 100 steps and I get the Infinite
> giga flopses error. I stored info at every step to check if the
> simulation is running. And the log file has all the variables for each
> time-step with reasonable  values. I don't understand the meaning of the
> message at the end of the log file.
>
> nodetime = 0! Infinite Giga flopses!
> Finished mdrun on node 0 Tue Jun  8 10:16:31 2010
>
> This is not the first time I have encountered this problem with short md
> runs.

This isn't really a "problem," per se.  Gromacs is fast.  If you look at the
benchmarks in the Gromacs 4 paper, you can get several hundred steps of MD per
second for a relatively small system.  So essentially your run probably finished
in less than a second, and mdrun recorded that as "zero" time.  Division by zero
= infinite performance :)

If you think there's something else actually wrong, please at least provide a
description of how large your system is, how long the run actually took to
complete, if you're running in parallel, etc.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar