[gmx-users] PMF in vacuum and pull direction (chris.neale at utoronto.ca)

Eudes Fileti fileti at ufabc.edu.br
Tue Jun 8 19:02:26 CEST 2010

Hello Chris, thanks for the reply. Below his message commented walkthrough.
In your email you asked me for quantitative results. All I have so far is
a visual inspection of the pulling trajectory. All I can see are
the two molecules moving linearly away from each other in a rectangular box
of dimensions 3x3x6nm. However this separation does not occur on the z
axis,
as I wanted, but in a diagonal way across the faces of the box.

Bests
eef

> 1. There is no need to use a virtual atom, the pull code will use the
> center of mass. I strongly suggest that you stop using a virtual atom
> and just use the entire benzene as an argument to the pull code group.
> I have had difficulties with slightly more complicated setups of this
> type.

Ok, now I'm using only the center of mass of the molecules, no virtual
sites.

> 2. In test2.jpg, the system without pbc shows a flat PMF after the
> cut-off -- exactly what one would expect. The pbc system shows
> continued interaction -- again what I would expect. So there is
> nothing actually all that strange here. One would not expect to see
> such a drastic difference in a high dielectric such as water, but in
> vacuum I suspect that this is expected.

Alright! In fact the well of both PMFs are not so different.

> 3. Please clarify what your cutoff was. I don't see a cut-off listed
> in your .mdp options and leaving this to the default of 1.0 nm is a
> bad idea because it can lead to confusion a times like this. I might
> assume that it was 0.7 nm based on test2.jpg, but then see the point
> #3 below.

Apesar de eu nao ter incluido o valor do cutoff na mensagem anterior
eu usei 1.2 nm
Although I have not included the cutoff value in previous message
I used it as 1.2 nm.

> 4a. I have no idea what -DPOSRES is actually doing for you since I
> can't see your topology.

A ideia de usar POSRES se referia ao emprego dos sitios virtuais.
Assim eu restringia a distancia das moleculas atraves da restricao do
sitios virtuais sobre seus centros.
The idea of using POSRES is referred to the employment of the virtual sites.
So I restricted the distance of molecules by restricting virtual sites
on their centers.

> 4b. Are you sure that "pull_dim = N N Y" is really what you want?
> Sometimes one wants to average over X and Y, but I am not sure that
> you do in this case.

I want to separate the two molecules from one another so that the
displacement is restricted to the z axis. I can be wrong,
but I think to do it in water, using PBC, I should use the
components distance (N N Y ) with direction geometry to get a
pulling in a direction z! Please correct me if it is wrong.

> 4c. What exactly do you believe pull_r0 and pull_r1 are doing for you?

Here they are worthless, because I have not used the option "cylinder".
I should have removed these options from the original message.

> ### More minor notes:
>
> 5. regarding test1.jpg: a PMF is correct to an additive constant,
> meaning that you can shift two PMFs relative to one another. These 2
> PMFs are therefore less different than they appear in your compaison
> plot, but they do differ in the slope between 1.0 - 2.0 nm. This is
> probably just a convergence issue and you will always need to do tests
> like this.

Surely.

> 6. regarding histo.png: can you confirm that the few very short
> gaussians are due to less sampling in a few windows? In any event, the
> overlap looks good.

Yes, there were two histograms whose simulations had crashed for some
reason.
It was corrected.
Eudes Eterno Fileti
Centro de Ciências Naturais e Humanas