[gmx-users] trjconv index file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 16 14:31:30 CEST 2010

Rabab Toubar wrote:
> Rabab Toubar

Have you actually tried it?  The following command does exactly what you want
(assuming every filename is prefixed with "pr"):

trjconv -s pr.tpr -f pr.trr

Choose "Protein" for output.

> below is what I did copied from the terminal:
> $ make_ndx -f conf-protein
>                          :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:
>
>               GROningen Mixture of Alchemy and Childrens' Stories
>
>                             :-)  VERSION 3.3.3  (-:
>

>       Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
>        Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
>              Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
>             check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
>          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>           modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>          as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>              of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
>                                :-)  make_ndx  (-:
>
> Option     Filename  Type         Description
>   -f conf-protein.gro  Input, Opt!  Generic structure: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb
>                                    tpa xml
>   -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt., Mult. Index file
>   -o      index.ndx  Output       Index file
>
> Option       Type   Value   Description
> -[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
> -nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
> -natoms      int    0       set number of atoms (default: read from
>                             coordinate or index file)

> Program make_ndx, VERSION 3.3.3
> Source code file: futil.c, line: 345
>
> File input/output error:
> conf-protein.gro

If make_ndx fails, then nothing else relying on the index file will work.  It
looks like you don't have a file named "conf-protein.gro" in the working directory.

> $ trjconv -f pr.trr -n conf-protein.ndx -o pr_new.trr
> Program trjconv, VERSION 3.3.3
> Source code file: futil.c, line: 345
>
> File input/output error:
> conf-protein.ndx

The default output of make_ndx is "index.ndx," but since make_ndx failed,
there's certainly no index file for you to use.

> I also tried:
> $ trjconv -f pr.trr -n index.ndx -o pr_new.trr
> Program trjconv, VERSION 3.3.3
> Source code file: futil.c, line: 345
>
> File input/output error:
> index.ndx

Right, because make_ndx failed from not finding your coordinate file.  Check the
contents of your working directory with ls to see what's actually there.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee