[gmx-users] Help in parametrisation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jun 24 13:10:12 CEST 2010

onetwo wrote:
> Thanks Justin for the help,
>
> I have Manganese in my protein with other two ligands at the active site.
> I am using GROMOS96 43a1 force field.
>
> Mangnese may have topology similar to Magnesium 2+, What I found is that

Assuming a transition metal "may" be similar to another species is probably a
pretty poor assumption.  Prepare for lots of criticism if you proceed with that
thought.

> I need to do changes in ffG43a1.rtp and ffG43a1nb.itp. But how should I
> calculate the nonbond_params for ffG43a1nb.itp.

Refer to the other GROMOS papers for how they derive parameters for small
molecules.  I've never seen a demonstration of transition metal parameterization
under these force fields, though.  Perhaps you should be using an AMBER force
field that contains Mn2+.  Any particular reason you think you need GROMOS?

> For both the other two ligands which contains phosphate and enol groups,
> I was able to create topology using PRODRG server.

Please pay careful attention to the second paragraph here:

http://www.gromacs.org/index.php?title=Download_%26_Installation/Related_Software/PRODRG#Tips

-Justin

> Regards
>
> onetwo wrote:
>  > Hello All,
>  >
>  > I am new in this field, and I want to do simulation study on one of
> the protein conatining a metal ion and study its ability to form
> co-oridnation bond with other ligand, which is not defined in GROMOS
> force field which I have tried. If this choice of force field is correct
> for such type of study ?
>  >
>  > I have read Gromacs Manual Chapter 5, also I am following this
> gromacs mailing list for quite some time to get a help on how to include
> a new metal ion or a new ligand in their simulation and they have been
> refered to refer to the
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization,
>  >
>  > but in this its not mentioned that how to actually do parameterization
>  >
>  > neither in manual it has been told on how to generate it ( due
> apologies,,I know, I may be wrong )
>  >

> The manual will not cover every possible topic. Parameterization is
> described in the primary literature for the force field you wish you
> use. "GROMOS" is not very specific - there are numerous parameter sets
> within this class of force field.
>
>  > and it is more difficult for a person like me who doesnt have much
> knowledge in this field, so if someone can please help me guiding how to
> do parameterisation, I know this is not a trivial task, but still help
> in this regard may help many other fellow users besides me.
>
> Aside from telling you to read all the literature you can, there's not
> much more help anyone can do to help you. You haven't described very
> well what your system is. What kind of functional groups are in your
> ligand? If the functional groups are shared with existing parameters,
> then you'll have a rather easy time constructing a topology. What type
> of metal ion is it? If you're dealing with a transition metal, using a
> standard MM force field may not work very well. Note the "Exotic
> Species" heading on the page you quoted above.
>
> -Justin
>
>  > Thanks in advance
>  >
>  >