[gmx-users] Re: multiple time step

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Jun 29 18:05:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

The core developers have the answer for this one, but I can make an
educated guess:

Implementing it would mean a LOT of work and the rewards are small. The
latter because most particles will have rougly the same oscillation
period if one uses all-atom forcefields and turn on virtual sites and
constrains the bonds, hence the point of having multiple time steps is lost.

Vitaly Chaban skrev:
> Chris,
>
> An interesting question...
>
> BTW, is there any philosophy of gromacs developers to avoid this
> algorithm in the MD engine?
>
> Vitaly
>

>> multiple timesteps are not possible as far as gromacs 4.0.7. NAMD can do this.

Erik Marklund, PhD student
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 4537        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se/