[gmx-users] index groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jun 30 20:59:27 CEST 2010

Moeed wrote:
> *I read thorough the manual on index groups and creating index file.
> This is the command I tried:
>
> make_ndx -f index.gro -o index.ndx
> *
> with index.gro you proposed:

I posted an index file suitable for use as is.  It is not a .gro file.  I
created the index file using a simple text editor.  For a very simple 4-atom
system, it is probably faster to skip make_ndx.

> [ special ]
>   1  3
> [ all ]
>   1  2  3  4
>
> error I get:
>
> Reading structure file

> Program make_ndx, VERSION 4.0.7
> Source code file: confio.c, line: 728
>
> Fatal error:
> Invalid line in index.gro for atom 1:
> [ all ]
>
> I thought maybe the group name should be changed... but it is
> complaining of sth I cant figure out.
>
> Also I am asking the following Q just for the sake of learning. I dont
> want to do something blindly :)
> - can you please let me know what is the justification behind using 1 3
> in first group.  *

These two atoms form a straight line.  By telling editconf to align these atoms
with the x-axis, it actually does.  Telling edticonf to align the whole molecule
with the x-axis does not achieve what you want.  For larger structures (like
proteins) a principal axis is more easily utilized without a special indx group.

> *- I read about default groups. like "system" where all atoms are
> defined. So why do we need to define "all" group again? *

Because I created my own index.ndx file without using make_ndx.

-Justin

> Thanks,
> *

Justin A. Lemkul