[gmx-users] Single atom charge group implementation for CHARMM27 in 4.5.2

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Wed Nov 3 15:50:34 CET 2010

Hi,

I sent this message a few days ago to the list but have not had a reply.
I feel some of the issues are quite important and so I am sending it again:

I have a few questions/comments about the implementation of the single
atom charge groups with the CHARMM27 force field that maybe someone can
help with:

1. There are some entries in aminoacids.rtp which have not been
converted to having every atom in a separate charge group (ASPP, CYS2,
GLUP, LSN, HEME, HEO2, O2, C2 and HOH, hopefully I didn't miss any!). I
understand these are some of the less commonly used entries, have they
been left out for a reason?  By the way I also noticed during a quick
test for this that there is not an rtp entry for ARGN but it is given as
an option by pdb2gmx when using -inter.

2. Relating to 1 are the charge groups in the water models, which have
also been left as a water in a single charge group. I think I remember
reading somewhere that this is needed for the fast water loops in
GROMACS, so I assume this has been done on purpose. My concern is that
this is different to the TIP3P and TP3M entries in the aminoacids.rtp
file. If this has been done on purpose for the water models, then maybe
TIP3 and TP3M should also just have one charge group (as in the HOH entry)?

3. Finally, another concern I have is that when adding termini to a
protein (from aminoacids.c.tdb and aminoacids.n.tdb) then the terminal
atoms are still added as one charge group by pdb2gmx. I am not sure of a
way around this, apart from still using the -nochargegrp option, or
having AMBER forcefield style rtp entries for the N and C terminal
residues (undesirable I am sure).

Cheers

Tom

--