[gmx-users] questions about umbrella sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 6 05:38:15 CET 2010

Dear R-X Gu,

I think that you didn't get a reply because you are clearly using
gromacs version 3.x and many of us now work with gromacs 4.x. (Note
that the .ppa file is gone in gromacs version 4.x and the pull
parameters now go into the regular .mdp file). If there is some reason
that you need to use version 3.x then I am familiar with that and I
can help you with it. But it's a waste of time if you're going to move
to version 4.x soon.

Still, I can answer your question generally right now. First, you are
correct that you don't need to set the system up with zero restraint
energy (that is what you would have if the displacement from desired
distance was exactly 0.0). get it close though... if it is too far
then the initial forces will be large and can introduce unintended and
not always easy to notice biases or structural deformations.

Second, to calculate the center of mass displacement, you can use g_dist.

Your questions indicate that you are new to gromacs. So let me provide
you with some unrequested advice. First, double posting to a mailing
list is never useful. We all saw your first post. If you don't get a
reply then learn some on your own and when you post again you can
include this new information to say "I tried X and Y, but they lead to
Z, which is not what I intended...". Second, free energy calculations
are difficult and not recommended for beginners. My intention here is
not to dissuade you from doing them, but to suggest that you spend a
few months doing some regular simulations first. Third, if you want to
do umbrella sampling free energy calculations, find a tutorial and
start there. This is a good one:
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html but I am sure that there are lots more. In fact, there's a gromacs page for tutorials on many topics:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Tutorials

Chris.