[gmx-users] installation of gromacs on windows using cygwin

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Nov 6 08:42:28 CET 2010

On 5/11/2010 10:48 PM, bharat gupta wrote:
> I followed the same instructions given in the gromacs manual , step by
> step ... I first tried installing gromacs with the first command given
> in the manual and then again I installed with the options for FLAGS
> but finally ended up with the following error in both the above
> mentioned conditions :-
>
> checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe

I think here's a problem.  Your cygwin installation doesn't have a
proper linker installed. win32 ld.exe is not up to the job, IIRC. You
need (at least) the gcc and binutils packages.

When asking for free help, you should copy and paste into these emails
the command that is failing. If you'd really followed the instructions,
we expect they'd have worked. So in the absence of evidence that you've
done it right, we'll have to assume you've made a typo. We don't want to
guess what you've done wrong :-)