[gmx-users] add a group to an amino acid

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Nov 7 14:19:17 CET 2010

>    CE1    opls_145   -0.115     5
>    HE1    opls_146    0.115     5
>    CE2    opls_145   -0.115     6
>    HE2    opls_146    0.115     6
>     CZ    opls_145   -0.115     7
>     HZ    opls_146    0.115     7
>      C    opls_235    0.500     8
>      O    opls_236   -0.500     8
>
> I want to attach "CL" atom instead of HZ
> i made my pdb but when i use pdb2gmx, it adds HZ automatically in gro
> and top files.
> What should i do to get rid of this HZ and attach CL instead.

If the .rtp entry says to build PHE with those constituent atoms, it will do so.
  You can make a custom .rtp entry that has CL instead of HZ.

> (I edited top and gro files and remove HZ from them, it seemed to work
> properly at first, but when i tried to do energy minimization, it had
> errors in top file
>  and i realized that it couldn't recognized the bond between CL and CZ):
>
> ERROR 1 [file topol.top, line 150]:
>   No default Bond types
>

> ERROR 2 [file topol.top, line 422]:
>   No default Angle types
>

> ERROR 3 [file topol.top, line 423]:
>   No default Angle types

All of these errors indicate that OPLS cannot accommodate such a species.
Making ad hoc changes to the topology often does this.  Look at what these lines
contain and you will be able to identify the relevant parameters that are missing.

<snip>

>     66   opls_401      5    CL        CL       26         -1     35.453
>      ; qtot -1.06

I would seriously question the validity of doing this.  Is it really correct to
put (essentially) a Cl- ion on a Phe ring and call it correct?  Proper
parameterization is a very challenging task, and I doubt what you've proposed
here is valid.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization

> [ bonds ]
>   59    66     1