[gmx-users] mdrun -rerun: bonded interactions of protein

NG HUI WEN HuiWen.Ng at nottingham.edu.my
Thu Nov 11 09:46:50 CET 2010

Thanks a lot Justin and Mark for your useful input.

Indeed Justin was right, the quest to dissect the total energy of the
system to get that contributed by the protein alone was not trivial at
all!

I missed out this thread yesterday
http://www.mail-archive.com/gmx-users@gromacs.org/msg34610.html as well
as Mark's trick to decompose bonded terms by hacking the .top file.
(However, I read from
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/g_energy that the
Coul-recip term is not decomposable regardless of the tricks used...)

Mark, following your advice, I added -nsteps 0 (-1 didn't work) to
tpbconv. I managed to get the interactive prompt succesfully this time.

Reading toplogy and shit from rerun1.tpr
Reading file rerun1.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)
Setting nsteps to 0
Group     0 (      System) has 100581 elements
Group     1 (     Protein) has  4002 elements
Group     2 (   Protein-H) has  3145 elements
Group     3 (     C-alpha) has   412 elements
Group     4 (    Backbone) has  1236 elements
Group     5 (   MainChain) has  1649 elements
Group     6 (MainChain+Cb) has  2027 elements
Group     7 ( MainChain+H) has  2039 elements
Group     8 (   SideChain) has  1963 elements
Group     9 ( SideChain-H) has  1496 elements
Group    10 ( Prot-Masses) has  4002 elements
Group    11 ( Non-Protein) has 96579 elements
Group    12 (        POPE) has 13052 elements
Group    13 (         SOL) has 83523 elements
Group    14 (         CL-) has     4 elements
Group    15 (       Other) has 96579 elements
Group    16 (     SOL_CL-) has 83527 elements
Group    17 (Protein_POPE) has 17054 elements
Select a group:

As suggested, I have also tried to compare the (average) values of
subset.tpr and fullsystem.tpr, these are the total energies of:

1)      System=              -1.28209 e+06

2)      Protein=              -9571.86

3)      Lipid=                    -296121

4)      SOL_CL=              -821353

5)      Other=                 -1.22684e+06

It was found that the:

1)      Total energies (Protein + lipid + SOL_CL-) not equal to total
energy of the system

2)      Total energies of (Lipid + SOL_CL-) not equal to total energy of
other

3)      Total energies of (others + protein) not equal to total energy
of the system

I have yet to work out the reasons for the discrepancies, will spend
some time pondering and trying to make sense of these (and other)
values.

Thanks a bunch again!

HW