[gmx-users] DNA didnot wrap around CNT

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 18 12:50:01 CET 2010

Siamkhanthang Neihsial wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
>         I have a DNA sequence (5'-GAG TCT GTG GAG GAG GTA GTC-3') and a
> CNT(6,5) of 90 Angstroms in length. I kept the DNA & CNT at a distance
> of 1 angstrom. Solvents molecules(water) inside CNT are removed at a
> radius of CNT at 4.2 . Equilibration at 1000 steps,  results in
> diminished quality of CNT (like bonds between carbons are no more
> visible!), i repeat equilibration with larger steps( 5000), the same

Bonds cannot break or form in molecular mechanics.  Whatever you're seeing is a
visualization artifact.

> problem result. Also,the DNA is suppose to wraped around the CNT, but it
> didnot seems to happen. I am using GROMACS. Any help will be highly
> appreciated.

If your model is not reproducing the correct behavior, then there's probably
something wrong with the model.

> My equil.mdp file is

What you've got here is an energy minimization, not equilibration, input file.
No large-scale changes are going to happen during EM.  I would suggest you go
through some tutorial material to understand a proper Gromacs workflow in order
to run actual MD.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate