[gmx-users] question regarding to PMF calculation between 2 plates

Zhe Wu zephyrwuz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:10:11 CET 2010

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the idea! It is a good idea of using umbrella
sampling technique. But I am not sure whether it is just a matter of
averaging 3 PMFs as the final result.

To be physical, we need the 2 plates to be parallel to each other at
any time, right? With 3 pull groups (or more groups), indeed we
defined 2 plates. But in simulation, independent variation of these 3
distances will make angles between the plates. The angles could be
large when the umbrella is relatively small, as a balance between
distribution overlap and # of windows. For sure, their average
behavior should be parallel, but I don't know whether simple averaged
PMFs is physical. Of course, trying 4 or 5 pull groups as tests will
be helpful to examine this idea.

Meanwhile, we still need to deal with the rigidity of the plates: to
make sure they are flat during the simulation. So as I can see, it is
inevitable to use some sort restraint in the system anyway. That is a
reason why I used position restraint (PR) as mentioned in my last
email. As long as PR works in the NPT, I can just simply use the
potential obtained, followed by free energy perturbation scheme, get
the PMF. The problem is, the PR doesn't work in NPT in my test cases.

Again, thank you very much for helping me with your idea! I really
appreciate it. I am now testing even smaller time steps to see whether
PR will work (as suggested in discussion from Pawan, Florian and Mark
in a few emails after my post). Will keep you updated for any new
progress. Sure, further ideas will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Zhe