[gmx-users] Discrepancy between -chargegrp and -nochargegrp in simulations with CHARMM ff, Why ?

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 00:37:28 CET 2010

Hi,

You show differences when using GROMACS 4.5.3 for one simulation with
the pdb2gmx option -nochargegrp and one without this option (is this
correct, or did you manually edit the topology to have the old charge
groups?). This pdb2gmx option should have no effect in 4.5.3 as all the
entries in the CHARMM27 .rtp are in individual charge groups.

If you didn't edit the 4.5.3 topology then either you are doing
something else different between these simulations or what you think is
a difference between simulations with and without this pdb2gmx option is
just a coincidence and that your peptide is sometimes stable over this
short 24 ns simulation and sometimes it unfolds, irrespective of the
charge group option.

If you did edit the topology then are you sure that it is correct? Did
you use 4.5.3 to get the topology and edit it by hand or did you
generate this 'charge group' topology by some other method, such as
another version of GROMACS? If you used the topology from 4.0.x then
maybe there are issues here as I know CHARMM27 was not fully supported
until 4.5.

Cheers

Tom

--