[gmx-users] Trouble with Gromacs finding the files it needs

J. Nathan Scott scottjn at chemistry.montana.edu
Tue Nov 30 22:47:20 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> keep running into problems involving the addition of chloride ions in
>> that same tutorial (as well as in other applications). The error I'm
>> receiving using the newer version and installation of Gromacs occurs
>> when I am using grommp to prepare a file containing protein, solvent,
>> and ions for energy minimization:
>> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.3
>> Source code file: toppush.c, line: 1987
>>
>> Fatal error:
>> No such moleculetype CL-
>> For more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the
>> GROMACS
>> website at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
>>
>> This is very confusing since all I am doing is using a newer
>> installation of Gromacs and following the exact same commands from the
>> tutorial. Naturally I started checking and comparing topology files
>> from the 2 runs to see if I could figure out what was going on. I
>> noticed a few differences but am unsure what to make of them.
>>
>> The older version of Gromacs, for instance, has the user and host
>> names correct at the top of the topology file, whereas my freshly
>> installed version has both user and host as "onbekend", so it seems
>> that user and host information is not being communicated in my new
>> copy of Gromacs. Also, the topology file generated by the older
>> version has includes of the form of #include "ffoplsaa.itp", #include
>> "posre.itp", #include "spce.itp", and #include "ions.itp" whereas the
>> newer version has includes of the form #include
>> "oplsaa.ff/forcefield.itp", #include "posre.itp", #include
>> "oplsaa.ff/spce.itp", and #include "oplsaa.ff/ions.itp".
>>
>> I know of course that "CL-" is the correct form of the chloride ion in
>> OPLSAA (I checked oplsaa.ff/ions.itp to be certain), so I am quite
>> baffled as to why this error is occurring. Is this indeed some sort of
>> path problem, perhaps? I have noted that when I use "CL" instead of
>> "CL-" in genion grommp has no trouble, but I believe it *should*
>> because I have selected the OPLSAA forcefield. I have also noted that
>> when I replace "oplsaa.ff/ions.itp" in my topology file with just
>> "ions.itp" grommp runs fine, but this worries because I don't know why
>> it works.
>>

> The directory structure has changed as of version 4.5, and ion names have
> been standardized across the force fields.  The proper [moleculetype] of the
> chloride ion (in oplsaa.ff/ions.itp) is indeed "CL" while the *residue name*
> is "CL-" and the atom name (which is what you pass to genion) is "CL."
>
> So, if you have added a line like
>
> CL-   8
>
> in the [molecules] directive of your topology (like in my tutorial), then
> you get the fatal error.  The [moleculetype] name is what you enter here,
> not the residue name.
>
> I haven't updated my tutorial for version 4.5.x, but perhaps I should.  If
> you follow what I say exactly, you will have problems in the newer version.

Ahhh, now it all makes sense! Thanks very much for your helpful answer Justin!

By the way, should I be concerned about "onbekend" in the user and
server names? I don't particularly care what is in those fields, but
am slightly worried that they indicate I have something configured
incorrectly, which could then affect the functionality of the
software.

-Nathan