[gmx-users] Self Diffusion contant

teklebrh at ualberta.ca teklebrh at ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 7 18:36:28 CEST 2010

Dear Gromacs,

I have been calculating the self Diffusion constant of my system.
Surfactants in a different solvents of the same volume. After
simulation for 20ns I found the following data for the trajectory of
the mean square displacement.

# D[       TPA] = 0.2039 (+/- 0.0503) (1e-5 cm^2/s)
          0           0
          2   0.0105286
          4   0.0162435
          6   0.0212711
          8    0.026031
         10   0.0307584
         12    0.035134
         14   0.0393323
         16   0.0434628
         18   0.0475354
         20   0.0516609
          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
        920     1.16467
        922     1.16756
        924      1.1703
        926     1.17267
        928     1.17383
        930     1.17483
        932     1.17581
        934     1.17754
        936     1.17957
        938     1.18199
        940      1.1829
        942     1.18596
        944     1.18871
        946     1.19099
        948     1.19219
        950     1.19321
        952     1.19445
        954     1.19613
        956     1.19838

          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
      10576     11.7747
      10578      11.785
      10580     11.7817
      10582     11.7833
      10584     11.7847
      10586      11.784
      10588     11.7855
      10590     11.7904
      10592     11.7926
      10594     11.7943
      10596     11.8036
      10598     11.8141
      10600     11.8112

          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
          -
      19960     36.4106
      19962     36.2607
      19964     39.9243
      19966     39.7493
      19968     39.6744
      19970     39.5838
      19972     39.6723
      19974     39.6374
      19976      39.518
      19978     39.4935
      19980     39.3834
      19982     39.1136
      19984     42.3888
      19986      42.168
      19988     42.1337
      19990     41.9395
      19992     42.0065
      19994     42.0993
      19996     41.8652
      19998     41.8419
      20000     41.9419
      20002     41.6049

 From my data, the graph shows a linear trend until 18ns but as soon
as it reaches around 19, 20ns it dramatically increases the MSD value.
Since the surfactants form aggregation I was expecting the MSD curve
to go down. Is any explanation for that. Why? suddenly increases the
MSD curve. Which is then the correct slop then!

Thank you

Rob