[gmx-users] why does trjcat take so much memory?

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 13 01:54:39 CEST 2010

I have 28,000 .xtc files, each having a single frame and each 150K. If
I run du -hs on the directory containing these .xtcs, I get 4.4 GB.
Nevertheless, when I run trjcat -f *.xtc -o ../tot.xtc , my memory
consumption goes over 11 GB and then I run out of available memory.

Sure, I could find a larger memory system, but why does it take >=3x
more memory than the individual files took in disk space? Does anybody
know any commands

This is gromacs 4.0.5 and 4.0.7 and 4.5-beta2.

Thank you,
Chris.